Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dinner with the Bridges

I know it's been long time since the last post (again). But I had to jot this one down for the world wide web. :)

This evening, I had dinner with [drum roll please]... Jerry and Jane Bridges! They are in town this weekend for a conference our church is hosting. Admittedly, I was a bit hesitant about going. He is after all a famous Christian author, highly sought-after speaker, a gospel-centered, man of God who wants to be like Enoch rather than Moses - because Enoch walked with God. Uh-oh, I'm going to have to come up with something meaningful to talk about. What if I make a mistake and offend them? I don't really remember anything from his books or have any insightful things to share.

I am happy to report... the Bridges are completely down to earth. They do not spew high spiritual talk and only recite Bible verses. We chit-chatted about various topics: from the dryness in the weather, to sewing projects, to Stockbridge, MA where I lived during my internship, which was also Jonathan Edwards' old stomping ground. One thing I did notice throughout the evening... Jerry is such a gentleman and a loving husband. I remember thinking this as I observed how he opened the car door and waited for Jane to step in.

We ate at De La Torre's in Pleasanton, which has great Italian food. An unassuming place, sort of hidden in a strip mall. Generous portions, fresh ingredients. I would definitely try this place again. Very good calamari and bruschetta. I had a pork dish from their Specials menu. Next time, I want to try one of the more traditional pasta dishes... those looked really good. I hear their thin crust pizzas are excellent. This is becoming my Yelp entry.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate from their first visit back in 2005...Sam called it "celebrity-itis."

    Thanks for serving them during their time here! And for the restaurant review...I'll have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete